Mittwoch, 30. Dezember 2009

Analyse the follawing quotations from Chapter 8

1.) “My dad was a sober”. (p.41.l.19)

I think it is very importent because it is a new situation. Manny`s father is an alcoholic. So he is often drunken. It must be some special situation when the father is sobe. Because of the fact that Manny`s father ist an alcoholic, he ist always aggressiv and shouting at everyone especially at Manny.

2.) “Like a lot of Punjabi Men, he didn`t drink or eat meat on Sundays. It was like some kind of religious fashion statement that he was making only he generally tendet to get even more plastered on Sunday / on Saturday nights to make up for ut.(p.41,ll 10-14)

This statement stands for the Punjabi culture, the father likes. The father is a very religious person. For hin are the traditions very important. A fashion statement ist in my opinion someting which us just for a pericode of time, like some fashion trend. Manny maybe wants to express that his father ist just a good Punjabi when some traditional festival us started.

3.) “ I knew that it had to be about marriage because it had been exactly the same when he dad told Harry.” (p. 42 ll 27-29)

Manny knovs the situation from his brother. The father did the same with Harry. Manny knovs that this topic will be discussed at some point. Manny is afraid of this topic and does not want to marry a girl he does not know.

4.) “It was con really.” (ü. 42 1.40)

Manny does know what the father is planning. He does not want to have on arange marriage.

5.) “Thing ist, I was totally differnt to Harry. Totally.” (p. 43 l. 5)

Harry and Manny are two brothers, but totally different, they habe two different characters. Manny hates his brother Harry. Harry ist happy to get an arranged marriages, because ist is the only way to getg a girl. He likes the Punjabi traditions. Manny does not want to have an arrange marriage an he also does not like the Punjabe families.

6.) “My dad abviaisly saw my raction because he changed his ledutre to one about hav it was my duty ito up holf his honaur, his is zat. To protect the family name and all that. (p. 43 ll. 35. 37.)

I think this has somethings to do with emotional blackmail. The father sets Manny under pressure. He sets him into / under pressure because Manny should think that ist his duty.

7.) “I already knew that she was gonno do it – knew that sh was just putting on and act t scare me in to accetpting their wy of doing things.” (p. 44 ll. 36-38)

In this case Manny describes his mother. The mother started to cry. So Manny thinks that is some kind of emotional blackmail.

8.) “ I felt like I was stuck. Like I had no choise. I mean, hav could I become the cause of so much griff and sadness for my parents? Hav could I? (p. 45 ll 2-5)

Manny thinks that he doese not have an other choice. He must be marry to a girl. When he does not do so the family will be very sad.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen